Pages

Intro

As I am a Fine Art student from Liverpool I like to experiment with many things and Eco Fashion is one of my experimentation I exploring at the moment but still carrying on with my other social theme's. I got this idea to explore Eco Fashion because I am starting a beginners sewing course in September to learn how to use my sewing machine, I have learned the basics when I was in school and college and when it comes to using my own sewing machine it turns into rocket science, so this course will be really helpful. Also because my current studio practice in university is about the poverty driven side of Liverpool etc, council estates. So I put both of them together and came up with Eco Fashion as a theme. I researched a bit about Eco Fashion and looked designers and they really inspired me. at the moment I am only doing drawings of my ideas because I don't think it is an appropriate theme for my studio practice but is something I want to explore in my spare time.

Friday 20 September 2013

Dress Making Course - Lesson 1

The whole reason I had this idea for my studio practice is because I started a Dress Making course at the beginning of September so I thought it would be good to blog my experiences of the lessons.

Lesson 1: Wednesday 11th September 2013
This was my first lesson and it was about getting to know your sewing machine. We had to bring our own sewing machine so the sewing machine we learn on is easier for us to remember setting's etc. I got my sewing machine as a gift for Christmas when I was 18 and now I am 23 so it was 5 years and I remember it was from Woolworth's (That explains how old it is). I never tried it to see if it worked before I went I just took it to the course and when I was been showed how to thread it I was told that there was something wrong with the bobbin part because it weren't catching on to the thread from the needle. So I took it to a place that specializes in fixing sewing machines and I was told that there was no point in fixing it because it would cost me how much the sewing machine was worth, so he said the best bet for me would to buy a new sewing machine. I had a look round and on the internet before I purchased one and found a great deal at TJ Hughes and it was a Brothers sewing machine which seemed good quality and it was for the agreeable price of £80 which I thought was a good deal. Back to the First lesson, as I never had a sewing machine for the first lesson the teacher was kind enough to lend me a sewing machine. I was then told to learn the threads of the sewing machine by using each setting and running the material underneath to see what kind of pattern it created. Then I was taught how to make button holes, and for some reason when she was saying it it wasn't registering in my brain I kept thinking she meant sewing a button on but then I was thinking to myself surely you can't sew a button on by a machine, then it clicked. I found that lesson really informative and fun and was eager to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment